When in Ojai, it’s inevitable not to stop atKnead Baking Company for a relaxed breakfast and a load on buttery-carb dreams for the day. Located in an old gas station and run by a Bobbi Corbin and her three kids, Leah, Rachel and Jake, Knead Baking Company has been a locals and visitors favorite since day one. Upon entering the cozy bakery a fresh pastries scent will make you want to live on brioche and bread, like forever. Having a business in Ojai and being surrounded by some of the best farmers in California, Bobbi incorporates local flavors and uses only best ingredients for her baked goods. Especially Ojai’s fruits play a major role in the kitchen. We only say blueberry cornbread and apricot scones – must try. While you can have breakfast and lunch, each time we are in Ojai we usually opt for the breakfast to get some fuel before a good hike. Our favorite order: Breakfast Plate + Breakfast Sandwich. Though you might not be able to recreate the sandwich because it uses the softest brioche bun ( secret recipe, we guess), you can have a taste of Knead Baking Company on a Saturday morning at home by whipping up this easy breakfast.
You will need:
- two eggs
- 4 slices of parmesan cheese or manchego
- 2 hand-full organic baby spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic
- salt and pepper to taste.
What to do:
1. Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat. Crack and add eggs to the pan. Break the egg yolk with a knife so it spreads out onto the egg white, season with salt and cover with the lid. Cook until the egg is completely firm.
2. While eggs are cooking, place the spinach in a bowl, add pinch of salt, olive oil and balsamic and mix it so the spinach is covered with the dressing.
3. Place the cheese slices on the plate. Top it with the egg and add spinach salad on the side. Season with freshly grounded pepper. Enjoy!
Tip: Add cherry tomatoes for some color on your plate.
★Knead Baking Company
469 E Ojai Ave, Ojai, CA 93023